Maryland: Question 4
Maryland residents will get the opportunity to vote on adult-use cannabis legalization on November 8, 2022!
What are the details? Question 4 will appear on the ballot in Maryland. You can read the full text of the initiative here. If approved, Question 4 will do the following:
- Legalize the possession (up to 1.5 ounces) and use of marijuana for persons 21 and older beginning on July 1, 2023.
- Decriminalize the possession (up to 2.5 ounces) and use of marijuana for persons 21 and older.
- Automatically expunge convictions for conduct that would have been legal under the new law. Individuals currently serving time for now-legal conduct would be able to apply for re-sentencing,
- The measure does not address licensing, regulation, or taxation for the adult-use cannabis market, so that would need to be sorted out by the legislature if it passes.
How to vote in Maryland
- Make sure you are registered to vote at your current address. The deadline to register to vote online is October 18, 2022. You may register to vote in-person at your polling place during Early Voting or on Election Day.
- If you would like to vote in person on Election Day, you must cast your ballot at your polling place between 7am and 8pm on November 8, 2022.
- If you would like to vote by mail, request a mail-in ballot as soon as possible. The deadline to request a mail-in ballot is November 1, 2022 and the deadline to return a mail-in ballot is November 8, 2022 (though we recommend returning it much earlier than that).
- If you would like to vote early and in person, in-person early voting begins on October 27, 2020 and ends on November 3, 2022.
- No matter how you vote, you MUST have at least one valid form of identification.
Early Voting Deadlines
Deadline to Request Ballot (Received by)
Deadline to Return Ballot (Postmarked by)
Early Voting Begins
Early Voting Ends