Maryland: Question 4
Maryland residents will get the opportunity to vote on adult-use cannabis legalization on November 8, 2022!
What are the details?
Question 4 will appear on the ballot in Maryland. You can read the full text of the initiative here.
If approved, Question 4 will do the following:
- Legalize the possession (up to 1.5 ounces) and use of marijuana for persons 21 and older beginning on July 1, 2023.
- Decriminalize the possession (up to 2.5 ounces) and use of marijuana for persons 21 and older.
- Automatically expunge convictions for conduct that would have been legal under the new law. Individuals currently serving time for now-legal conduct would be able to apply for re-sentencing,
- The measure does not address licensing, regulation, or taxation for the adult-use cannabis market, so that would need to be sorted out by the legislature if it passes.
- Make sure you are registered to vote at your current address. The deadline to register to vote online is October 18, 2022. You may register to vote in-person at your polling place during Early Voting or on Election Day.
- If you would like to vote in person on Election Day, you must cast your ballot at your polling place between 7am and 8pm on November 8, 2022.
- If you would like to vote by mail, request a mail-in ballot as soon as possible. The deadline to request a mail-in ballot is November 1, 2022 and the deadline to return a mail-in ballot is November 8, 2022 (though we recommend returning it much earlier than that).
- If you would like to vote early and in person, in-person early voting begins on October 27, 2020 and ends on November 3, 2022.
- No matter how you vote, you MUST have at least one valid form of identification.