North Dakota: Statutory Measure 2
North Dakota residents will get the opportunity to vote on adult-use cannabis legalization on November 8, 2022!
What are the details?
Statutory Measure 2 will appear on the ballot in North Dakota. You can read the full text of the initiative here.
If approved, Statutory Measure 2 will do the following:
- Legalize the possession, use and purchase of cannabis (up to 1 ounce) for persons 21 and older.
- Allow persons to grow up to 3 cannabis plants at home.
- Direct the state to establish a regulatory system for recreational cannabis sales by October 1, 2023.
- Allow the state to license up to 7 cultivation facilicities and 18 recreational cannabis retailers.
- Statutory Measure 2 does not address expungement, re-sentencing, or any other forms of record clearing and retroactive relief for people who have been convicted of cannabis offenses.
- Make sure you are registered to vote at your current address.
- If you would like to vote in person on Election Day, you must cast your ballot at your polling place on November 8, 2022. Polling place hours vary by county.
- If you would like to vote by mail, request a mail-in ballot as soon as possible. The deadline to request a mail-in ballot is November 1, 2022.
- If you would like to vote by mail, make sure election officials receive your ballot by November 7, 2022. That means you must mail it in as early as possible.
- If you would like to vote early and in person, in-person early voting begins on September 29, 2022 and ends on November 7, 2022.
- No matter how you vote, you MUST have at least one valid form of identification.
To learn more about cannabis laws in North Dakota and find out where elected officials in the state stand on cannabis reform, check out our North Dakota state page.